From Classics to Creativity – Exploring the Thanksgiving Side Dish Landscape in North Dakota
As Thanksgiving rapidly approaches, I embarked on a delightful exploration of the plethora of side dishes that grace our tables during this time honored holiday. Is there more to Thanksgiving than the parade, turkey and football? Curiosity led me to our Facebook community, where I eagerly sought insights into your preferred appetizers. The responses were a mix of culinary marvels and, admittedly, some less enticing suggestions. I am not going to lie...after reading through the suggestions, my mouth was watering. It still is as I write this!
Today, let's delve into the tapestry of Thanksgiving feasts, focusing specifically on the beloved side dishes that take center stage in North Dakota's celebrations.
- Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
- Green Bean Casserole
- Corn Casserole
- Sweet Potatoes
Now let's take a look at some of the more unique suggestions our friends chimed in with.
- Frog Eye Salad
- Oyster Stuffing
- Creamed Spinich
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts
- Ham & Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Cranberry Salad (Cranberries, green apples, baby oranges, crushed pineapple, whipped cream)
- Stuffing Balls (Stuffing made into balls and baked so you have a lot more crispy exterior and the center is moist but not wet)
- Jalapeno Corn (bag of frozen corn, brick cream cheese, tiny can diced chilis/jalapenos) crockpot on till creamy. Stir, warm, serve)
As you peruse this culinary journey, I extend warm wishes for a Thanksgiving filled with abundant joy and, most importantly, a cornucopia of delectable dishes. May your day be filled with the delightful flavors of your chosen side dishes, creating cherished moments with family and friends.